Please login to continue



Adnews offers non-subscribers free access to one story per month.

Subscribe for unrestricted access to our content.

Forgot your login or password? Click here.

Bell Media, CBC form new Olympic broadcast partnership

Bell Media and CBC/Radio-Canada have reached an agreement to form a broadcast partnership that will bid for the exclusive Canadian media rights for the Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016 Olympic Games. The new entity is independent of Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium, which holds the rights to the London 2012 Games. "The Olympic Games are a premium property that requires a strong partnership in order to deliver the level of experience that Canadian viewers and advertising partners now expect," said Kevin Crull, president of Bell Media. "With our combined resources and experience, this strategic alliance with CBC/Radio-Canada allows us to deliver the best possible Games experience to Canadians, and ensure the legacy of the Olympic movement in this country." Rogers Media has withdrawn from the Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium bid for 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games. The decision does not affect the company's involvement with the London 2012 Olympic Games. Under the current agreement, Rogers Media is a 20% stakeholder in the consortium, while the remaining 80% is controlled by CTV. "As much as Rogers Media would like to continue being involved with the Olympic Movement, scheduling conflicts, combined with our financial priorities, suggest that it's best for us not to be involved at this time," said Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media. "We had an option and chose not to exercise it. This was a difficult decision on so many levels, but it's a disciplined approach that allows us to pursue new opportunities to best serve our viewers, shareholders and advertisers."

« Back Next »

Related stories Comments